Historian Matthew Dallek looks at the history behind the Office of Civilian Defense, the country's first agency for homeland security, and the competing visions of those tasked with spearheading the department: New York City Mayor Fiorello La Guardia and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt.
A new report predicts one in 10 adults worldwide could have diabetes by 2030. More than 350 million people already have the disease. For years, global resources have been aimed at fighting infectious diseases like malaria and swine flu. Now, developing countries are ill-equipped to provide the long-term care needed for diabetes patients. In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) projects one in three Americans will have diabetes by 2050. While diabetes awareness has increased in the U.S., more than 25 percent of Americans don’t even know they have it. Diane and her guests examine the causes and costs of the diabetes epidemic and efforts to reverse the trend.
- Ann Albright director, division of diabetes translation, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Dr. Rita Kalyani assistant professor of medicine, Johns Hopkins University; and editor, Johns Hopkins Diabetes Guide
- Dr. Judith Fradkin director, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology, & Metabolic Diseases at the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Leonor Guariguata epidemiologist, International Diabetes Federation
- Maya Rockeymoore director, Leadership for Healthy Communities, a national program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
Most Recent Shows
Opening night at the Democratic convention in Philadelphia. How speakers including Sen. Bernie Sanders, Sen. Elizabeth Warren and First Lady Michelle Obama seek to bridge party divides and build the case for presumptive nominee Hillary Clinton.
Forty-five years ago, the band “Earth, Wind and Fire” introduced audiences to a new kind of funk--one that fused soul, jazz, Latin and pop. Bassist Verdine White talks to guest host Derek McGinty about breaking racial boundaries in music and how the band is still evolving.
The Democratic National Convention gets underway in Philadelphia, where Hillary Clinton will accept the presidential nomination.