In 2007, neuroscientist Lisa Genova self-published her first novel, “Still Alice.” It tells the story of a Harvard psychology professor and her experience with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease. The book became a best-seller and is now a major motion picture. Join Diane and her guests for a discussion of “Still Alice.”
France’s lower house of Parliament votes on a proposed ban on face-covering veils. It’s likely to become law, but may not survive a court challenge: Religious freedom, women’s rights and fears of anti-Islamic sentiment.
- Akbar Ahmed chair of Islamic studies at American University
- Jonathan Laurence associate professor of Political Science at Boston College. and non-resident senior fellow at the Brookings Institution author of "Integrating Islam: Political and Religious Challenges in Contemporary France (Brookings Press" and soon to be published: "The Partial Emancipation of Europe's Muslim Minorities and the Geopolitics of Islam in the West"
- Merve Kavakci former member of the Turkish parliament author of a forthcoming book: "Headscarf Politics in Turkey: A Postcolonial Reading"
- Emmanuel Lenain spokesman, Embassy of France
- Asra Nomani former correspondent for the Wall Street Journal author of "Standing Alone: An American Woman’s Struggle for the Soul of Islam.”
Most Recent Shows
With more people returning to the workforce, automakers are seeing a boom in car sales. But there's growing concern about a surge in auto loans to buyers with weak credit. The risks of subprime auto loans.
Living in Afghanistan, one former journalist saw how pervasive political corruption can lead to violent extremism. She calls for urgent action by the U.S., and a new approach to foreign policy. How corruption threatens global security.
President Obama is proposing to greatly expand wilderness protections within the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, an area thought to be rich in oil and gas. The move is strongly opposed by some congressional Republicans. We look at the debate over new conservation designations in Alaska.