The Islamic State launches a counterattack in the Iraqi city of Kirkuk, as the battle to retake Mosul intensifies. Ecuador cuts off Internet access to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange. And the president of the Philippines says his country is pivoting away from the U.S. A panel of journalists joins guest host Derek McGinty for analysis of the week's top international news stories.
France’s lower house of Parliament votes on a proposed ban on face-covering veils. It’s likely to become law, but may not survive a court challenge: Religious freedom, women’s rights and fears of anti-Islamic sentiment.
- Jonathan Laurence associate professor of Political Science at Boston College. and non-resident senior fellow at the Brookings Institution author of "Integrating Islam: Political and Religious Challenges in Contemporary France (Brookings Press" and soon to be published: "The Partial Emancipation of Europe's Muslim Minorities and the Geopolitics of Islam in the West"
- Merve Kavakci former member of the Turkish parliament author of a forthcoming book: "Headscarf Politics in Turkey: A Postcolonial Reading"
- Emmanuel Lenain spokesman, Embassy of France
- Asra Nomani former correspondent for the Wall Street Journal author of "Standing Alone: An American Woman’s Struggle for the Soul of Islam.”
- Akbar Ahmed chair of Islamic studies at American University
Most Recent Shows
In the final debate, Donald Trump refuses to say whether he’ll accept the election results. North Carolina officials investigate the firebombing of Republican Party headquarters. And a police chiefs’ organization apologizes for ‘historical mistreatment of minorities.’ A panel of journalists joins guest host Derek McGinty for analysis of the week's top national news stories.
On an average day in the United States, seven young people are shot to death. A British journalist chooses a random day in 2013 and profiles each of the lives cut short.
With just weeks left before the general election, candidates Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump faced off in Las Vegas. Analysis of the third and final presidential debate.