Thousands of migrants try to reach Britain from France through the Channel Tunnel. Turkish airstrikes target Kurdish militants. And President Barack Obama wraps up a five-day trip to Africa. A panel of journalists joins guest host Susan Page for analysis of the week's top international news stories.
France’s lower house of Parliament votes on a proposed ban on face-covering veils. It’s likely to become law, but may not survive a court challenge: Religious freedom, women’s rights and fears of anti-Islamic sentiment.
- Akbar Ahmed chair of Islamic studies at American University
- Jonathan Laurence associate professor of Political Science at Boston College. and non-resident senior fellow at the Brookings Institution author of "Integrating Islam: Political and Religious Challenges in Contemporary France (Brookings Press" and soon to be published: "The Partial Emancipation of Europe's Muslim Minorities and the Geopolitics of Islam in the West"
- Merve Kavakci former member of the Turkish parliament author of a forthcoming book: "Headscarf Politics in Turkey: A Postcolonial Reading"
- Emmanuel Lenain spokesman, Embassy of France
- Asra Nomani former correspondent for the Wall Street Journal author of "Standing Alone: An American Woman’s Struggle for the Soul of Islam.”
Most Recent Shows
A white campus police officer in Cincinnati is charged with the murder of an unarmed black motorist. Congress passes interim funding for the highway bill. And the latest GDP report indicates modest second-quarter growth in the U.S. economy. A panel of journalists joins guest host Susan Page to round up the week's top news.
Earlier this month, the House of Representatives passed the 21st Century Cures Act in a rare bi-partisan effort. The bill is meant to speed the development of lifesaving treatments, but critics warn it may also allow ineffective or even harmful drugs onto the market.
Secretly-recorded videos have reopened the fight over federal funding for Planned Parenthood. We examine new hurdles for the organization, the political response and the latest in the battle over abortion rights in the U.S.