The U.N. suspends Syrian peace talks until late this month. The U.S. plans to quadruple military spending in Europe as a signal to Russia. And American officials express concern about ISIS in Libya. A panel of journalists joins guest host Tom Gjelten for analysis of the week's top international news stories.
A Christian militia in Michigan is charged with plotting against the U.S. and attempting to deploy weapons of mass destruction. How a weak economy, the election of the first African-American president and political extremism are fueling the rise of militias and hate groups.
- Michael Lackomar Livingston County Team Leader for the Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia
- Carolyn Brown an Assistant Professor at American University, School of Communication, and a documentary filmmaker.
- Chip Berlet a senior analyst with Political Research Associates and a veteran freelance writer who specializes in investigating right-wing social movements.
- Mark Potok Director, Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, the group's latest report, "Rage on the Right," documents the growth in the number of hate and extremist groups.
- Carrie Johnson reporter, The Washington Post.
Most Recent Shows
As the New Hampshire primary looms, Republicans brawl over tactics used in the Iowa caucuses. The F.B.I. joins the Flint drinking water investigation. And President Obama calls for religious tolerance at his first mosque visit. A panel of journalists joins Diane for analysis of the week's top national news stories.
Julian Borger: “The Butcher’s Trail: How The Search For Balkan War Criminals Became The World’s Most Successful Manhunt”
After the 1990s conflicts in the former Yugoslavia, the international community identified 161 suspected war criminals. Fourteen years later, every single person on the wanted list had been captured. The Guardian's diplomatic editor recounts one of the most successful manhunts in history.
Two top military officers say this week women should register for future military drafts. This comes after the recent decision to open all combat roles to female service members. The changing role of women in the military.