Presidential candidates today frequently use popular pieces of music as campaign "theme songs" often without approval from the musicians themselves. But using music on the campaign trail is not a modern phenomenon: it goes back to our earliest presidential elections.
A look at historical and contemporary beliefs about patriotism in the United States of America.
- Kathleen Hall Jamieson director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania; her latest book is "Echo Chamber: Rush Limbaugh and the Conservative Media Establishment"
- Captain Matthew Klunder Navy Captain Matthew Klunder is the Commandant of Midshipmen at the United States Naval Academy.
- Haynes Johnson journalist, historian and author
- Tony Blankley syndicated columnist; research fellow with the Heritage Foundation; executive vice president, global public affairs, Edelman International; and former editorial page editor of "The Washington Times." His most recent book is "American Grit: What It Will Take to Survive and Win in the 21st Century."
- Juan Williams NPR News Analyst, FOX News Political analyst, and author of numerous books, including "Enough: The Phony Leaders, Dead-End Movements, and Culture of Failure That Are Undermining Black America--and What We Can Do About It."
- Andrew Kohut director of the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
Most Recent Shows
President Barack Obama secures the Democratic votes needed to prevent Congress from blocking the Iran nuclear agreement. We discuss what Democratic support of the deal in the Senate means for President Obama, the Republican-led House and the future of U.S. relations with Iran.
A new report says traffic in the U.S. is worse than it's been in years. But some say there are reasons to be optimistic. For this month's Environmental Outlook: How revitalized urban centers and new modes of transportation are changing how we get around our cities.
The Austria-Hungary border has become the latest pressure point in Europe's ongoing migrant crisis. We get an update on the huge influx of migrants and refugees from the Middle East and Africa and the future of open borders within the E.U.