A novel about Vivian, a young Irish girl sent by rail from a New York City tenement to Minnesota in the early 1900s. She was one of thousands of abandoned children sent to live with rural families for a better life. But not all ended up in loving homes.
A look at historical and contemporary beliefs about patriotism in the United States of America.
- Kathleen Hall Jamieson director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania; her latest book is "Echo Chamber: Rush Limbaugh and the Conservative Media Establishment"
- Captain Matthew Klunder Navy Captain Matthew Klunder is the Commandant of Midshipmen at the United States Naval Academy.
- Haynes Johnson journalist, historian and author
- Tony Blankley syndicated columnist; research fellow with the Heritage Foundation; executive vice president, global public affairs, Edelman International; and former editorial page editor of "The Washington Times." His most recent book is "American Grit: What It Will Take to Survive and Win in the 21st Century."
- Juan Williams NPR News Analyst, FOX News Political analyst, and author of numerous books, including "Enough: The Phony Leaders, Dead-End Movements, and Culture of Failure That Are Undermining Black America--and What We Can Do About It."
- Andrew Kohut director of the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
Most Recent Shows
An estimated 11 million Americans could see their disability benefits slashed next year if Congress fails to take action. The White House and Republican lawmakers have opposing solutions. Social Security's disability fund and how to keep the program solvent.
There's a renewed push for apprenticeship programs in the U.S., one supporters say can address a shortage of skilled workers and the financial burden on young people today.
The Centers for Disease Control reported the number of Americans who died from heroin overdoses quadrupled in the decade ending in 2013. We look at what's behind the nation's surge in heroin addiction and what some communities are doing to fight back.