Ten states now have animal welfare laws requiring bigger cages for hens and livestock. We look at what these new rules could mean for food prices, farmers and how we raise animals in the United States.
Food prices are on the rise at home and abroad. World leaders are calling for action to ease the crisis. Our panel of experts will discuss what’s behind the higher prices and what, if anything, can be done about them in the short and long term.
- David Beckmann president of Bread for the World
- Yvonne Tsikata country director for the Caribbean at the World Bank
- David Orden senior research fellow at the International Food Policy Research Institute in Washington, DC. He's also a professor in the Virginia Tech Institute for Society, Culture and Environment.
- Bob Young chief economist at the American Farm Bureau Federation
- Simon Johnson senior fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics, professor, the Sloan School of Management at the M.I.T., and former economic counselor at the I.M.F. He is the co-author of "The Baseline Scenario: What Happened to the Global Economy and What We Can do About It" and the soon-to-be-released book "13 Bankers - The Wall Street Takeover and the Next Financial Meltdown."
Most Recent Shows
Senate confirmation hearings begin for Loretta Lynch, President Barack Obama's pick for attorney general. Some Republican lawmakers question her stance on contested issues including immigration reform, marijuana legalization and trials for terror suspects. Join us as we discuss the hearings.
In 2007, neuroscientist Lisa Genova self-published her first novel, “Still Alice.” It tells the story of a Harvard psychology professor and her experience with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease. The book became a best-seller and is now a major motion picture. Join Diane and her guests for a discussion of “Still Alice.”
With more people returning to the workforce, automakers are seeing a boom in car sales. But there's growing concern about a surge in auto loans to buyers with weak credit. The risks of subprime auto loans.