A new novel by the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of "March" reinterprets the life of King David as he journeys from humble origins to become the slayer of Goliath and the ruler of a kingdom.
Guest Host: Susan Page
The U.S. military is now sending teams of anthropologists and social scientists out to assist all combat brigades in Iraq and Afghanistan. The effort has reportedly helped troops improve relations with local populations and avert casualties, while raising a hearty debate among anthropologists over the ethical boundaries of their profession. A look at the so-called Human Terrain Teams and larger questions of how the military is adapting to new expectations in Iraq, Afghanistan, and beyond.
- David Rohde reporter, New York Times
- Lt. Col. Edward Villacres military leader of the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division Human Terrain Team
- Col. John Agoglia director, U.S. Army Peacekeeping and Stability Operations Institute
- David Price associate professor of anthropology and sociology at St. Martin's University; author of the forthcoming book, "Anthropological Intelligence: The Deployment and Neglect of American Anthropology in the Second World War."
- Montgomery McFate senior social science adviser with the U.S. Army's Human Terrain System
Most Recent Shows
Another mass shooting, this time at a community college in Oregon, has prompted new calls to change gun laws. We look at the realities of ending the cycle of gun violence in the U.S.
Russia launches another round of airstrikes in Syria. In Afghanistan, fighting with the Taliban continues in Kunduz. And a Palestinian flag flies at the U.N. for the first time. A panel of journalists joins guest host Melissa Block for analysis of the week's top international news stories.
Nine people and a gunman are dead after a shooting at an Oregon community college. Bernie Sanders narrows the fundraising gap with Hillary Clinton in the last quarter. And Congress avoids a government shutdown – for now. A panel of journalists joins guest host Melissa Block of NPR News for analysis of the week's top national news stories.