Presidential candidates today frequently use popular pieces of music as campaign "theme songs" often without approval from the musicians themselves. But using music on the campaign trail is not a modern phenomenon: it goes back to our earliest presidential elections.
Diane and her guests talk about how Hurricane Katrina’s environmental impact is being assessed, the potential hazard to humans and to the region’s ecosystems posed by industrial pollutants, bacteria, and previously existing toxic waste sites, and how to clean up the mess.
- Hugh Kaufman senior policy analyst for the EPA Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response
- Karen Gautreaux deputy secretary of the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality
- Darryl Malek-Wiley environmental justice organizer for the Sierra Club in Louisiana
- Dr. Lynn Goldman pediatrician, epidemiologist and professor at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health; former assistant administrator for the Environmental Protection Agency's Office of Prevention, Pesticides and Toxic Substances
- Marianne Horinko former Environmental Protection Agency Acting Administrator (2003) and Assistant Administrator for the Office of Solid Waste and Emergency Response (OSWER); currently executive director of the Global Environment and Technology Foundation
Most Recent Shows
President Barack Obama secures the Democratic votes needed to prevent Congress from blocking the Iran nuclear agreement. We discuss what Democratic support of the deal in the Senate means for President Obama, the Republican-led House and the future of U.S. relations with Iran.
A new report says traffic in the U.S. is worse than it's been in years. But some say there are reasons to be optimistic. For this month's Environmental Outlook: How revitalized urban centers and new modes of transportation are changing how we get around our cities.
The Austria-Hungary border has become the latest pressure point in Europe's ongoing migrant crisis. We get an update on the huge influx of migrants and refugees from the Middle East and Africa and the future of open borders within the E.U.