The U.N. suspends Syrian peace talks until late this month. The U.S. plans to quadruple military spending in Europe as a signal to Russia. And American officials express concern about ISIS in Libya. A panel of journalists joins guest host Tom Gjelten for analysis of the week's top international news stories.
The Pentagon’s proposed military base closings are expected to save close to $50 billion dollars over the next 20 years and create larger multipurpose facilities. Diane’s guests talk about the potential impact of the closings on military operations, strategy, and organization, and on military communities across the country.
- Ed Rendell governor of Pennsylvania
- Andrea Stillman Democratic state senator representing Connecticut's 20th district
- Phillip Carter military affairs writer for Slate magazine, attorney and former Army officer
- David Berteau former Acting Assistant Secretary of Defense, now working as a consultant for the state of California in the current round of closings
- Thomas Donnelly resident fellow, American Enterprise Institute and author of "The Military We Need: The Defense Requirements of the Bush Doctrine" (AEI Press)
Most Recent Shows
As the New Hampshire primary looms, Republicans brawl over tactics used in the Iowa caucuses. The F.B.I. joins the Flint drinking water investigation. And President Obama calls for religious tolerance at his first mosque visit. A panel of journalists joins Diane for analysis of the week's top national news stories.
Julian Borger: “The Butcher’s Trail: How The Search For Balkan War Criminals Became The World’s Most Successful Manhunt”
After the 1990s conflicts in the former Yugoslavia, the international community identified 161 suspected war criminals. Fourteen years later, every single person on the wanted list had been captured. The Guardian's diplomatic editor recounts one of the most successful manhunts in history.
Two top military officers say this week women should register for future military drafts. This comes after the recent decision to open all combat roles to female service members. The changing role of women in the military.